Birla Sun Life Health Plan
BSLI Health Plan is a comprehensive Health Plan from Birla Sun Life which caters to hospitalization benefit along with fixed surgical benefits as well.
How it works – This plan is a 3 year Health Insurance Plan where the premium remains the same for the entire period of 3 years. This plan can be taken for self, spouse, children and dependent parents.
Under the regular benefits, this plan pays for a fixed Hospitalization Benefit along with Surgical Benefit. There are many surgeries covered under this plan for which a lumpsum amount is paid along with hospitalization and ICU charges. Also, this plan can be availed over and above other health plans as the benefit is fixed and not on reimbursement.
Key Features of Birla Sun Life Health Insurance Plan
- This is a 3 year Health Plan which can be availed for Self, Spouse and Children
- There is Guaranteed Renewability of Spouse and Parents till age 78 years and till 23 years for children
- In this plan, the Life insured can avail consultation of a second medical practitioner for any life threatening disease or condition.
- In this plan, there is a Fixed Amount for Benefits on hospitalisation or surgery which is paid irrespective of actual costs:
- If the Surgery is in the list of Covered Surgeries, then the benefit is paid according to the grade of surgery
- If the Surgery is not in the list of Covered Surgeries, then a fixed benefit of Rs 2000 hospitalization benefit is paid + Rs 1000 ICU charges
- This plan can be availed in addition to any other health plan as well
- 20% of the initial Sum Assured rises on each policy renewal
- A Total List of 101 surgeries are covered after 1 renewal and all excluded surgeries are also included
- If the Principal Insured dies, the spouse can become the Principal Insured and continue the plan
- There is no requirement of any medical in this plan.
Benefits you get from Birla Sun Life Health Insurance Policy
Death Benefit – There in no Death Benefit in this plan.
Maturity Benefit – This plan being a pure Health Insurance Plan has no Maturity Benefit as well.
- Hospitalization Benefit is paid upto Rs 1000 per day of hospitalization + Rs 1000 per day in ICU
- A Fixed Benefit for surgery covered under List of Covered Surgeries is paid till Rs. 1,00, 000 per policy year
- There is a fixed benefit for surgery not covered under List of Covered Surgeries of Rs 2000 per day hospitalized and Rs 1000 per day in ICU
Income Tax Benefit – Health Insurance Premiums paid up to Rs. 15,000 for normal residents and Rs 20,000 for Senior Citizen are allowed as a deduction from the taxable income each year under section 80D
Eligibility conditions & other restrictions in Birla Sun Life Health Policy
Daily Hospitalization Benefit (in Rs.)
Policy Term (in years)
Entry Age of Life Insured/ Spouse/ Parents (in years)
Age at Maturity of Life Insured/ Spouse/ Parents (in years)
Entry Age of Child (in years)
Age at Maturity of Child (in years)
Yearly, Half-Yearly. Quarterly and Monthly
Sample illustration of premium amount in BSLI Health Plan
The below illustration is for a healthy Male (non-tobacco user) opting for Fixed Benefit = Rs. 3000 for a Policy Term of 3 years
You stop paying the premium – This is a three years renewable policy. Hence if you do not renew the policy, all benefits would lapse. If the lapsed policy is not revived within 90 days of the due date of the first unpaid premium then the policy will be terminated
You want to surrender the policy – There are no surrender benefits under this term plan.
You want a loan against your policy – Loan facility is not available under this policy.
There are certain exclusions under which claim would not be admitted. They are:
- Due to a pre-existing illness / condition unless started in the application form and specifically accepted by the company and endorsed thereon
- Not taken from a recognised hospital / registered medical practitioner or not scientifically recognised
- Given by a family member or by oneself
- Conventionally and customarily carried out on an outpatient basis in an OPD /Hospital Casualty / Doctor's clinic or at any place other than a hospital
- Received Outside India
- Due to the life insured:
- suffering from psychiatric / psychosomatic / mental disorders
- suffering from any opportunistic condition associated with HIV / AIDS, AIDS
- Related Complex Syndrome (ARCS) or sexually transmitted diseases performing duties as a serving member of a military, paramilitary or a police force:
- performing hazardous sports of any kind or flying other than as a passenger on a scheduled regular carrier
- being under the influence of intoxicating drugs and / or alcohol
- committing any breach of law
- Intentionally injuring oneself, whether arising from an attempt to commit suicide or otherwise
- For any surgery undertaken to correct congenital or hereditary diseases / internal or external physical defects
- For any surgical procedure which is purely cosmetic or experimental in nature
- For any birth control procedures and / or hormone replacement therapy
- For pregnancy and childbirth, abortion and its consequences, tests and treatment relating to infertility and in-vitro fertilisation
- For a sex change operation
- For an organ transplant where the life insured is the donor
- For convalescent care, rest care, hospice care, rehabilitation or similar treatment
- For non-allopathic treatment even if administered and/ or recommended by an allopathic medical practitioner
- For circumcision unless necessary for treatment of a disease (not otherwise excluded in the policy) or necessary due to an accident
- Due to terrorism, war, invasion, act of foreign enemy, war like operations whether war be declared or not
- Due to exposure to radioactive, explosive or hazardous nature of nuclear fuel materials, whether directly or indirectly
Frequently Asked Questions BSLI Health Plan
Does BSLI Health Plan cover Pre-existing Diseases?
As mentioned under Exclusions, BSLI Health Plan does not cover Pre existing Diseases and hospitalization from the same. It is not even after continuous renewals as in other plans.
Do I need to get my Medicals done under BSLI Health Plan?
As mentioned under Key Features, There is no requirement of Medical Tests in this plan. Only a declaration of Good Health is sufficient. However, if the medical underwriters feel necessary, they may call for medical tests but not under usual circumstances. Hence please mention all ailments in details.
Is Maternity Benefit provided under BSLI Health Plan?
As mentioned under Exclusions, BSLI Health Plan does not cover Maternity Benefit and hospitalization from the same. It is not even after continuous renewals as in other plans.
Alternate Health Insurance Plans from different Life Insurance companies
ICICI Prudential Health Saver
Other Health Insurance Plans from Birla Life Insurance
Birla Sun Life Saral Health Plan
Birla Sun Life Universal Health Plan