How to e-verify your Income Tax Return?
For electronic verification, login to https://www.incometaxindia.gov.in/ and navigate to 'E-Verify Return' after filing and submitting your ITR. There are two ways to validate your ITR electronically:
- Link your Aadhar Card with your PAN number and generate an OTP (one time password) which is delivered to your registered mobile number. Enter this OTP to validate your e-filing.
- Generate electronic verification code (EVC), which is delivered to your registered mobile number or email ID. Use this electronic verification code to verify your ITR. This method is valid for those taxpayers which seek any returns or if total income of the taxpayers is more than Rs 500,000.
- Just last year, IT department made life easier for tax payers by making taking the process of verifying ITR digital instead of sending a signed copy of ITR-V to Bangalore CPC.
Verifying your tax returns can be faster if done electronically by linking your Aadhar card to your Personal Identification number (PAN).
Aadhaar is a 12 digit individual identification number issued by the Unique Identification Authority of India on behalf of the Government of India. This number will serve as a proof of identity and address, anywhere in India.
Following steps will help you do it:
- Login to income tax e-filing portal
- Once you log-in, a pop-up will ask you to link your Aadhaar number, if not, browse to profile settings and click on Link that says Link Aadhaar to PAN.
- Make sure to verify the date of birth, name, gender etc before entering the aadhaar number so that it matches PAN details.
- After cross-checking and verifying, enter the aadhar number and link. The aadhar number will be linked to PAN only if details mentioned above match.