HDFC Life Surgicare Plan is a Surgical Health Plan with Hospitalization Cash Benefit option. It is a Traditional Plan without Bonus facility.
How it works – In this plan, premium needs to be paid for the entire policy tenure that can be chosen from 7 to 20 years. The Sum Assured can be chosen from Rs 1,00,000 to Rs 5,00,000.
In this plan, the Sum Assured increases every year by 5% with a maximum increase upto 50% of the initial Sum Assured. The increase automatically stops after the 10th policy year and remains constant thereafter.
Let us understand by taking an example of an initial Sum Assured of Rs 1,00,000 for a policy of 20 years. The Sum Assured increases by 5% every year of Rs 5,000. The Sum Assured finally becomes Rs 1,50,000 in 10 policy years which does not increase any further and continues to remain the same for the next 10 years.
There are 2 Benefit Options to choose from:
- Option A: Surgical Benefit + Hospitalization Cash Benefit
- Option B: Only Surgical Benefit
In this plan, under Surgical Benefit, there is a lumpsum payment on 82 surgeries according to the grade of surgery, as listed below. The Sum Assured would be paid, irrespective of the actual amount spent and the policy continues.
If the person insured undergoes a surgery of Grade A, then 25% of the current Sum Assured would be payable and the policy continues. If the person insured undergoes a surgery of Grade B, then 50% of the current Sum Assured would be payable and the policy continues. If the person insured undergoes a surgery of Grade C, then 75% of the current Sum Assured would be payable and the policy continues. If the person insured undergoes a surgery of Grade D, then 100% of the current Sum Assured would be payable and the policy continues.
The policy continues to pay for 100% of the Sum Assured in any 1 policy year and 300% of the Sum Assured in the entire policy tenure, after which it terminates.
Under Hospital Cash Benefit, 1% of the Annual Sum Assured is payable for each day of non-ICU hospitalization and 2% of the Annual Sum Assured for ICU hospitalization, subject to a minimum of 48 hours of continuous hospitalization. There is a limit of 30 days in the first policy year and 60 days in the subsequent years subject to a maximum of 360 days in the entire policy tenure.
There is no Maturity, Death or Surrender Benefits in this plan.
Key Features of HDFC Life Surgicare Policy
- This is a health plan with surgical benefit and optional hospital cash benefit
- 82 major surgical procedures are covered but payment is made according to the grade of the surgery
- The sum assured increases automatically every year by 5% till 50% of the initial sum assured and thereafter it remains constant
- There are 2 benefits in this plan to choose from- Surgical Benefit + Hospitalization Cash Benefit and Only Surgical Benefit
- In this plan, lump sum benefits are paid regardless of the actual medical expenses
- The policy continues even after the after the payment of first or subsequent surgical procedures till 300% of the Sum Assured is paid within the entire policy tenure
- There is a flexibility to tailor-make the policy by choosing level of health cover, benefit options level and premium payment as per the needs
- This plan offers 35% discount in premium for Sum Assured more than Rs 2,00,000
Benefits you get from HDFC Life Surgicare Policy
Death Benefit – There is no Death Benefit in this plan.
Maturity Benefit – There is no Maturity Benefit in this plan.
Surgical Benefit— 82 listed surgeries are covered under this plan and graded in 4 categories.
There is a limit of Surgical Benefit payable upto 100% of the current Sum Assured in any 1 policy year and 300% of the Sum Assured in the entire policy tenure, after which it terminates
Hospitalization Benefit—If Option A is chosen, then this benefit is payable and not otherwise. For Hospitalization Benefit, there is a minimum requirement of 48 hours of continuous hospitalization.
Eligibility conditions and other restrictions in HDFC Life Surgicare Insurance Policy
Sum Assured (in Rs.)
Policy Term (in years)
Premium Payment Term (in years)
Equal to Policy Tenure
Entry Age of Life Insured (in years)
Age at Maturity (in years)
Premium (in Rs.)
Monthly, Half-Yearly or Annually
Sample illustration of Premium of HDFC Life Surgicare Plan
The below illustration shows an indicative Annual Premium for a healthy male of 30, 40 and 50 years respectively opting for a Sum Assured of Rs 2,00,000 for 15 years Policy Tenure.
Additional Features and Benefits of HDFC Life Surgicare Plan
Riders – There are no additional riders in this plan.
Surgeries— This plan covers 82 major surgical procedures. The surgical procedures are graded as follows:
- Grade A – 25 % of the current sum assured would be paid on undergoing any of the surgeries listed below, for the first time in the life time of the life assured:
- Cornea transplantation due to Trauma (for each eye)
- Drainage of extra dural space
- Open Reduction and Fixation for Compound Fracture of Mandible
- Drainage of lesion of tissue of brain
- Open Reduction of Hip Dislocation
- Drainage of subdural space
- Traumatic Amputation of lower limb- Below Knee level
- Excision of lesions (other than tumours)of tissue of brain
- Traumatic Amputation of upper limb- Below elbow level
- Excision of the pituitary gland
- Surgery to remove cerebral tumours (benign)
- Stereotactic ablation of tissue of brain Placement of prosthesis in oesophagus
- Drainage of pericardium
- Open Surgery for treatment of Peptic Ulcer
- Incision of pericardium
- Total Thyroidectomy
- Grade B – 50 % of the current sum assured would be paid on undergoing any of the surgeries listed below, for the first time in the life time of the life assured:
- Reduction and Fixation with Bone Graft for Major Craniofacial Trauma
- Traumatic Amputation of upper limb- Above elbow level
- Replacement of mitral valve
- Reconstruction surgery due to major burns(>25% body surface area)
- Radical Vulvectomy for Malignant Condition of Vulva
- Replacement of pulmonary valve
- Facial reconstruction surgery due to major trauma
- Parotidectomy for Malignant Tumour
- Replacement of tricuspid valve
- Major Repair of Multiple Ruptures in Abdominal cavity due to trauma
- Radical Excision of Malignant Bone Tumour
- Clipping of Aneurysm/Arterio- Venous Malformation in Brain
- Operation for Compound Fracture with Dural Penetration
- Orchidectomy for Malignant Testis Tumour
- Excision of pineal gland
- Total prosthetic replacement of hip joint due to trauma
- Wide Excision and Major Reconstruction of Malignant Mouth Tumor Graft to cranial nerve
- Total prosthetic replacement of knee joint due to trauma
- Excision of pericardium
- Intracranial transection of Cranial nerve
- Traumatic Amputation of lower limb- Above Knee level
- Replacement of aortic valve
- Operations on Surbaracahnoid space of brain
- Osteopathic Craniotomy/Extensive Craniotomy for Intracranial Haemorrhage
- Permanent Artificial opening into stomach
- Bypass for Portal Hypertension
- Open operations on varices of oesophagus
- Partial Lobectomy/Segmental Resection for various liver lesions (other than tumours)
- Open surgery for partial resection of colon for malignant tumour
- Nephrectomy due to medical advice (not as a transplant donor)
- Open Lobectomy of Lung
- Partial Extirpation of Bronchus
- Partial or Total Pharyngectomy Pleurectomy or Pleural decortication
- Excision of acquired Cholesteatoma
- Grade C – 75 % of the current sum assured would be paid on undergoing any of the surgeries listed below, for the first time in the life time of the life assured:
- Abdomino-Perineal Resection for Malignant Anal Tumour
- Carotid Endarterectomy
- Open surgery for complete resection of colon for malignant tumour
- Decompression/Removal via Craniotomy for Intra and extra cerebral Malignant Brain Tumour
- Coronary Artery Bypass Graft for Coronary Disease
- Total excision of stomach
- Glossectomy with Radical Neck Dissection for Malignant Tongue Tumour
- Excision and Insertion of Graft for Aortic Aneurysm
- Total Cystectomy for Malignant Bladder Tumour
- Laryngectomy with Radical Neck Dissection/Block Dissection for Malignant Tumour
- Replacement of more than one cardiac valve under single anesthesia
- Total excision of oesophagus (other than tumours)
- Surgery for Malignant Liver tumour
- Excision of stomach and oesophagus (other than tumours) Total Pharyngectomy for Malignant Tumour
- Total Esophagectomy for Malignant Tumour
- Partial Gastrectomy (other than tumours)
- Partial Pancreatectomy
- Total Pelvic Exenteration for Malignant Conditions
- Grade D – 100 % of the current sum assured would be paid on undergoing the any of the surgeries listed below, for the first time in the life time of the life assured:
- Pancreatico-Duodenectomy for Malignant Tumour
- Combined Heart-Lung Transplant
- Isolated Heart Transplant
- Pulmonary Artery Embolectomy using Cardiopulmonary Bypass
- Triple Bypass for Malignant Pancreatic Tumour
- Renal Transplant as recipient for Complete Renal Failure
- Pneumonectomy or Pleuropneumonectomy - total lung of one side
- Total Laryngectomy
- Transplantation of Lungs
- Bone Marrow Transplant
You stop paying the premium - If the policy holder stops paying the premium, the policy lapses and all benefits cease to exist.
You want to surrender the policy – There are no surrender benefits in this plan.
You want a loan against your policy – Loan facility is not available in this plan.